Happy Holidays – Time To Relax, Reflect, and Recharge
“Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop”. – the Roman poet, Ovid
The holidays have arrived, and although they may look different this year, they offer you the same benefit; extended time to relax, reflect, and recharge.
As an entrepreneur, it can be difficult to slow down and enjoy a vacation. But as far back as 20 BC, poets and civilians alike knew the importance of rest. You may have many reasons why it is difficult for you take time off; just know that your mind, body, and your business will thank you for it.
Rather than contemplating the many tasks and responsibilities awaiting you upon your return, focus instead on what you will gain from these next two weeks. Think of it as a present to yourself – an opportunity to replenish your energy and reset yourself for the new year.
Recharging during the holidays: Why is it important?
Rest is essential. Now, you may be nodding along thinking you agree with this sentiment. After all, you rest your body every night when you fall into bed. But rest is more than the six to eight hours of sleep you manage to attain every day. Genuine rest is only realised during an extended break from the everyday endeavours of work. What are the benefits of rest?
- It renews your passion. Just as absence makes the heart grow fonder, so too does time away from the daily routine of running a business. Taking a step back from your responsibilities allows you to refocus. It encourages you to revisit the joy of pursuing your passion.
- It refuels your mind and body. “The Refueling Principle” is based on the premise that as humans, we have a limited pool of resources. When we stop to refill it, we enable our minds and bodies to replenish themselves.
What does this mean for your business? With free time, you can top-up your supply of productivity and performance, allowing you to do more in less time. Rest generates “fuel for the energy, creativity and focus that lead to success”.
- It recharges your mental and physical energy. Rest is a form of nourishment; just like food and water, it allows you to flourish and grow.
Slowing down and enjoying time spent with friends and family gives you clarity; with your mind and body recharged, you are ready to make entrepreneurial decisions both big and small.
Recharging during the holidays: How can you set yourself up for successful relaxation?
The holidays provide the perfect opportunity for a break. For many people, this is a slower time of year – chances are your clients will not be requiring your services during these two weeks. So, take advantage of this quiet respite! Set yourself up for a successful vacation by following a few steps:
- Think of this vacation as essential to the success of your company. “Remind yourself that vacations are normal and necessary”; by taking care of yourself, you are taking care of your business.
- Schedule it. Seeing it in your calendar makes you accountable – your vacation becomes a priority.
- Set-up an out-of-office alert. This ensures your clients will not be left wondering why you have not responded. It also allows you to step away from the phone and the computer.
- Send the right signal to your brain. Dedicate yourself to your time off; don’t tell your brain you’re on vacation while you’re sitting in your office reading your emails. Give your mind and body the rest it needs.
- Engage in hobbies. Doing something out of your routine will “flex different parts of your brain and different modes of thinking”. As USC™ Certified UltimateStagers™, UCPO™ Certified Ultimate Professional Organizers™, and UDRC™ Certified Ultimate Decorator & ReDesigners™, creativity is the foundation of your business. Any way to nourish and encourage it is essential.
Recharging during the holidays: How can reflecting help you set goals for the new year?
Quiet moments encourage reflection; they provide an opportunity to review this year’s accomplishments and its challenges. Use this time off to celebrate how far you have come and to anticipate how far you will go. Focus on what goals you are going to set for yourself and your business. What can you do to ensure they are achievable?
- Create specific goals. A goal without details is merely a wish.
- Write your goals down. Once again, this makes you accountable. It also enables you to track your progress along the way.
- Create a plan to attain each goal. Break this plan down into daily activities.
- Anticipate roadblocks and generate strategies for how to work around them.
- Stay focused on each detail of your goal.
- Celebrate every victory, both big and small.
“You deserve to take a break from – and for – your business”. Using the holidays to relax, reflect, and recharge simply makes good sense. The down time enables you to renew your passion; to rest; to refuel your resources; and to restore your physical and mental energy.
The quiet moments offer an opportunity for you to reflect and to reset for the new year. Give yourself a gift this holiday season – take the time to look after yourself and your business.